Saturday, March 14, 2009

Earth, Water, Music

A hot day. The sun was high, the shadows very small. The blooms parched but for the shade of the wall. The wind picked up little demons of dust, little devils dancing around the sun baked paths. Prancing like children as they play with the dead leaves. The earth is parched; it should have rained a month ago. I put water out for the birds; it’s a joy to watch them dip into their first bath for weeks. It should have rained a month ago. The ground is parched begging for a drop to moisten its lips.

The wind has picked up, Lucifer’s children grow stronger. Play games. I look as a door slams somewhere, the birds startled. The water splashes, soaked up in a second. Come back; sing for it’s only the wind. I shall wait. It should rain now, soon. The once greens are a murdered color of hay. Lucifer’s children are hiding eerie calm. A droplet of salty water drops off the brow. Surprised I look to the sky. Nothing. Sigh. The birds are back, the lure of cool water over powers the fear. Solitude breaks … chirping. It must rain soon.

The shadows are long now; the birds have had their fill, for now. Not a parched leaf moves the sun is gone; the Earth will have some respite. The birds go to their nests I must go too. Yes I must go too, but where? These four lavish walls of silence don’t call to me. I step out as the sun hides in the horizon. It’s cooler now but no rain. I walk along the path following the cool breeze. A faint splashing beckons me. I hope the birds are happy. That splashing its closer, the lake! Of course the lake, it’s always been there, is it calling? The earth is parched and there is water just a breath away? Strange….

Why hasn’t it rained? Is that even a question any more? There is water to last many lifetimes, I laugh. Mostly at myself, did I just spend the day begging for what lay for the taking? Louder still my laugh resonates in the hills in the earth. Water! I roll the sleeves and start digging for there is ground to be covered, for we seldom get and when we do we must work for it to be where it needs to.

The nest can wait, for many birds will get respite today, the parched earth will drink. Elbow deep in mud could one e happier? Wipe the brow and toil on for the sweat will seed many a fruit as it snowballs to change. As I remember the lines once read lifetimes ago “give me the courage to change the things I can, the fortitude to accept the things I cannot and the wisdom to know the difference” Change! We are all weary, skeptical, critical, scared, of change, but all matter living or otherwise, changes and transitions. The real challenge is to accept, understand, evaluate, chose, evolve and maintain positive momentum as a parallel constant. KEEP WALKING and all will follow.

Today there is water, and while it flows there will be music and a new tomorrow.

2 comments:

NV said...

Brilliant...wonderful read!

Arjan said...

nice ...depicts vision...